You’ve seen fire extinguishers in commercial environments, such as schools, stores and workplaces. Does it make sense to have one in your home?
According to the experts, absolutely YES!! In fact, a fire extinguisher can quickly put out a blaze that would otherwise quickly grow out of control. There are several types of fire extinguishers that are made especially for residential use. That means they put out the most common fires that occur in the home (Class A, B & K fires), and they are easy to handle and use. Since most residential fires happen in the kitchen, that’s the best place to keep your extinguisher.
You should also make sure everyone in your household knows where it is and how to use it. This seems like a silly thing to say, but many people purchase a fire extnguisher but don't explain how to use it or where it's kept to their spouse, kids or teens!
Keep in mind that a home fire extinguisher is meant for small fires that are easy to put out, such as a pan of vegetable oil igniting on the stove. However, there are different types of fire extinguishers for different fires! YES, many people do not know this - check this out!
|Class A:||SOLIDS such as paper, wood, plastic etc|
|Class B:||FLAMMABLE LIQUIDS such as paraffin, petrol, oil etc|
|Class C:||FLAMMABLE GASES such as propane, butane, methane etc|
|Class D:||METALS such as aluminium, magnesium, titanium etc|
|Class E:||Fires involving ELECTRICAL APPARATUS|
|Class F:||Cooking OIL & FAT etc|
If you find you can’t control the blaze within a few seconds with the extinguisher, get everyone out of the home and call the fire department immediately!
Also, NEVER attempt to fight a major fire yourself. Leave that to the professionals!