Preventing burglaries requires more than locks and alarms
There's no doubt about it. If you want to keep your home safe from breakins, you should have good locks an all doors and windows. An alarm system is also a good idea! But home security doesn't end with locks and alarms. There are other less obvious ways to keep your home safe. For example:
• Install exterior lights with a motion detection feature. A light suddenly going on will almost always send a potential intruder away.
• Look for – and if possible eliminate – spots around your property where someone can hide.
• Always have some lights on in your home when you're away for an evening.
• Never announce that you're on vacation or otherwise away from your home on social media sites. (Also ask your kids not to do this!)
• Don't leave tempting valuables where they can be easily seen through a window.
In addition to good locking systems on doors and windows, simple precautions like these will significantly lower the risk of a break-in.