Full Closure of Barnet Highway between Ioco Road and Dewdney Trunk Road
As part of the Evergreen Line’s Inlet Centre Station construction, crews will be pushing a large concrete structure into position below Barnet Highway adjacent to Ioco Bridge. This structure will ultimately contain a portion of the station platform and guideway. In order to accomplish this “push”, the roadway must be temporarily closed as a portion of the roadway above will be removed.
Crews will implement a full closure of the section of Barnet Highway, between Ioco Road and Dewdney Trunk Road. This closure will occur over the Remembrance Day long weekend (November 8 to 12) and potentially the following weekend (November 15 to 18). A full closure of Barnet Highway, between Ioco Road and Dewdney Trunk Road, is part of an effort by the Evergreen Line Project to accommodate significant daytime traffic volumes during the week and reduce the amount of night-time work required to build the framework of the station platform and guideway.
While this closure is in effect, two different detour routes will be in place. Both detour routes will be clearly marked.
More detailed information about this closure is available on the Evergreen Line Project website: www.evergreenline.gov.bc.ca.
Details of Work:
- Nearby residents can expect to see construction activities including the use of heavy machinery, road construction, and material excavation 24 hours a day while this work is underway.
- Every effort will be made to minimize noise.
- Pedestrians and cyclists will be detoured to the Klahanie pedestrian bridge.
- A free shuttle for pedestrians will also be available from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. This shuttle will travel from St. Johns Street to the Suter Brook area. Pedestrians wishing to use the free shuttle should go the north side of St. Johns Street just east of Dewdney Trunk Road or to the west side of Morrissey Road south of Murray Street. This shuttle will operate as a continuous service with no set schedule.
- There will also be changes to transit service for routes between Elgin Street and Dewdney Trunk Road along St. Johns Street. More detailed information about the bus routes will be available on the TransLink website: www.translink.ca.
Drivers should anticipate delays and may wish to consider alternate routes while this closure is in effect. Drivers are asked to please watch for construction signs and obey posted speed limits.
Inlet Centre Station is a unique station with two entrances that will be built under Barnet Highway near the intersection of Ioco Road and Barnet Highway. Its two entrances, one on the west side and the other on the east side of the intersection, will allow passengers convenient, safe access from each side of Barnet Highway. Work on the station and connecting tracks will be ongoing for the next few years. This includes construction of the elevated and at-grade guideway, station construction, track installation, electrical work, and testing and commissioning. Once construction of this portion of the station platform and guideway is complete, the majority of the work will take place during the day.
WHAT TO EXPECT
November 8 – 12: A full closure of Barnet Highway between Ioco Road and Dewdney Trunk Road will be implemented. On Friday night, lane closures will begin at 7 p.m., followed by a full closure at 9 p.m. until Tuesday morning at 6 a.m.
- Two different detour routes for both eastbound and westbound traffic will be in effect as part of this closure (as shown on the graphic above).
- Drivers travelling eastbound on St. Johns Street will be detoured at Dewdney Trunk Road to Mariner Way. Drivers also have the option of turning left on Moody Street to Murray Street to continue into Coquitlam.
- Drivers travelling westbound on Barnet Highway will be detoured on Ioco Road to Murray Street and on to Moody Street to access St. Johns Street westbound. Drivers coming from Coquitlam may wish to use Dewdney Trunk Road from the Mariner Way overpass to continue travelling westbound on St. Johns Street.
- The traffic signals at St. Johns Street and Dewdney Trunk Road will be set on a continuous green to optimize traffic. This will allow vehicles to have free flow right-turn and left-turn movements.
- The signals at Ioco Road and Barnet Highway will also be adjusted to allow vehicles to flow freely.
- To assist the flow of traffic, there will be turning restrictions to and from Dewdney Trunk Road for local residents. Please watch for signs.
- All commercial vehicles weighing over 20 tonnes must use Dewdney Trunk Road.
November 15 – 18: If the work is not completed November 8 - 12, crews will require an additional weekend and the same full closure of Barnet Highway near Ioco Road will be implemented. On Friday night lane closures will begin at 7 p.m. and a full closure at 9 p.m. until Monday morning at 6 a.m.
Courtesy EGRT Construction